Unforgettable Experiences in an Extraordinary Place
|Apalachee Province — Mission San Luis Timeline||Back | Next|
- 1932 - Katherine L. Bradley, who bought the land in 1921, loses the property to foreclosure.
- 1935 - James Messer first clearly identified as owner of San Luis consisting of 362 acres although he bought it sometime prior.
- 1938-39 - The Messer House is built on the site of the old plantation house which was still standing when Messer purchased the property.
- 1960 - San Luis de Apalache (Mission San Luis) earns the National Historic Landmark designation.
- 1983 - The State of Florida purchases the central 50 acres of the site in September from James Messer's widow.
- 1996 - Descendents of the Louisiana Apalachees reveal their continued existence and identification with their Apalachee forebears to San Luis researchers.
- 1998 - Drawing of 15 years of archaeological and historical research, the rebuilding of Mission San Luis begins in earnest.